Despite the massive growth of cities and great technological advances, the possibility of creating an urban garden in our flat continues to arouse great interest. However, it is important to consider some issues to do so in a small place.
In this article, we approach you in a simple way to your urban garden with some practical tips to start growing your own fruits, vegetables, aromatic plants, etc. Enjoy and feed your family in the healthiest way with this rewarding activity: the urban garden.
How to make an urban garden in a small space
Choose the place well
First agriculture lessons
Before you start spending money on seeds and basic agricultural equipment, you should be well informed, even go to some theoretical classes on how to grow. There are too many factors that can ruin months of caring for your plants and, therefore, it is better to acquire some good books on the subject.
You must learn some basic notions:
- Care of the land and the use of different fertilizers.
- Months suitable for sowing.
- Watering and pruning .
- Plagues and basic care.
An ideal option: the vertical urban garden
Today social networks allow knowing different types of urban gardens around the world. In this way, we can also be surprised and benefit from the imagination of many people who have wanted to take advantage of small spaces.
Here are some original ideas for your urban garden:
- Take advantage and recycle pallets, containers or tires as culture tables and pots.
If you are very new to the world of cultivation, you can help with small signs that help you remember the name of the plant.
- Do not forget to sow aromatic plants. There is nothing more pleasant for a chef than being able to go out on the balcony to pick up his fresh plant.
- Get good advice to get a good substrate suitable for the type of land you are going to use.
- If you are traveling or spend seasons away from home and do not have anyone who can go to water your garden, you can also install a drip or automatic irrigation system.
- With the remains of the same garden (pruning, discarded fruits, herbs, etc.) you can make an organic compost to enrich the earth naturally.
Do you dare to make your own urban garden? In addition to providing your own organic food without pesticides, you will discover an activity to combat stress and share it with your family. Children will be able to become fond of this good habit and know the whole cultivation process.